Don’t you love the smell of gingerbread during the Christmas season?! This playdough is some of the yummiest smelling playdough and the kids loved making pretend gingerbread cookies with it. I have 3 children so I doubled the recipe to have enough for all of them.
Making this homemade playdough only took 10 minutes and is a great chance to get the kids in the kitchen with you. Mine love to mix and measure ingredients- and since it is not for eating there is no chance of massing it up! In the past I have always wondered Do I need cream of tartar? Although it is recommended to keep your playdough soft there are substitutions you can use as well & we have listed one below.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup salt
- 2 tsp cream of tartar or baking powder
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp ginger
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil/coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- Mix the flour, salt and cream of tartar
- Add in the cinnamon and ginger and mix well
- In a pot add water, oil and vanilla then mix. Cook on low to medium heat.
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients (flour, salt, cream of tartar, cinnamon, ginger) to the pot and mix well
- Be sure to mix well to allow for the salt to dissolve
- Work the dough around in the pot until it forms a ball
- Remove from pot and let cool until no longer hot to touch
- Knead the dough until smooth and start playing!
Use cookie cutters or print our Gingerbread playdough mat included in this months pack and have your child shape the dough into the shape of the gingerbread boy.
Add beads for buttons, glitter, googly eyes and more!
Use an airtight container or ziploc to keep your dough soft. If it starts to dry out you can add a little oil and knead thoroughly.
ADD IN A STORY!
My children love to hear new stories and this adorable version of the Gingerbread Man is so sweet. The Gingerbread Man Loose at Christmas.